Monday, October 29, 2012

Folklore and Shadow Puppets

Last Thursday The Brothers Harrell Rural Academy Theatre concluded their eight-week horse and buggy tour of North Carolina in Downtown Burgaw. That's right. Horse and buggy. Relying almost completely on candle light and low-tech theatre appliances, the group of students perform shadow puppet shows, theatre acts, and even play their own compositions of music to go along with silent films from the early 20th century- which I must mention the film projector is bicycle powered. How cool is that? Their show was fast paced, witty, and nonsensical while at the same time logically challenging the politics and cultures of our modern world. It was such a good time and I hope to see them again. I was able to snap a few shots but unfortunately I had the wrong lens with me for how darkly lit it was, so I apologize if they seem a little grainy! I would highly reccomend looking into their show and watching their production when given the opportunity to!
xoxox

Some of The Rural Academy's artwork for sale.

The view of the 'stage' before the show and a close up of some more artwork.

Part of the puppet show portion and a shot of the members singing their
 'What If' song in front of the court house.

No comments:

Post a Comment